Acebo to Compostilla - 19.5 km

June 5
Lat: 42.569167 Lon: -6.600833

I woke up at 6 a.m. and as I was for the most part packed up, I left the “hostelles” at 6:30 a.m. and was on my way. The weather was beautiful with blue skies. I actually took the jacket off in the first 10 minutes because it was so warm at 50 degrees and there was no wind. The trail was on a downhill slant for most of the early morning. I got to the little village of Riego de Ambros and was looking for coffee, but everything was still closed and one woman told me that I had to go another 6 km to Molinaseca before I could get anything. She was right. When I came into Molinnaseca I crossed over the bridge and saw a small bar. I ordered a coffee, but it was not good. I drank some and then pushed on to the next bar up the street. The coffee was really good; I'm becoming an expert on cafe con leche.

After a long break, I took off and headed to Ponferrada, where I had plans to spend time touring the Templar Castle. I started walking with a fellow from Berlin. We talked all the way to Ponferrada at the castle. He was pushing on to get more kilometers for the day. I got to the castle at about 11:00 a.m. I went in and toured the castle for about an hour and a half. I thought where we were staying was on the edge of Ponferrada and that I could walk back to the city and look around and that we'd be able to get a "Peregrino meal," but I was wrong. It turned out that the hotel that we're staying in was about 2.5 km out of town and they don't have a dinner meal at all. The hotel is not that nice and is advertised as “Peregrino friendly,” but that isn't true either. From my experience here, it's on the same line as a badly run Motel 6. The air conditioning is broken (the temps were 80 degrees at 4 p.m.) and they were calling someone to fix it at 2 p.m. The TV is also broken and although everything is in Spanish, I still enjoyed watching some of the movies. I guess you can't expect too much for 20 euros and I'm only going to sleep and be out of here at 6 a.m. in the morning.

Hawk and Christine finally came in a little after 4 p.m. and they were beat. The heat was so bad this afternoon that they have decided to leave in the morning at 6:30 a.m. the same time as me. We can make our destination by noon and sit out all the heat of the afternoons. Christine didn't want to walk 15 minutes back to the first bar/restaurant that we saw so Hawk and I did. All we could get was a salad and a beer with some bread. It was good and filling and besides we won't starve by tomorrow. We walked back and are going to bed to get ready for tomorrow.

All in all it's been a good day and there's more to follow tomorrow as we start getting ready to climb back up into the mountains...Buen Camino!

Spain Blog 2013

Go to top