Day 35 - Sarria to Portomarin

Date: June 8, 2015

Location: From: Sarria To: Portomarin

Mileage: 22.1 km

Weather: Beautiful with blue skies and cool temperatures

Temperature: Upper 50° F at 5:30 a.m. and 66° F at 7:00 p.m.

Lodging and Cost: Pension Arenas - 21€

GPS Location: ’42.807501” N and ’ -7.615429” W

Highlights: Walking wooded paths with rock walls and views of the distant cities, looking at mountains in the distance.

Summary of the Day:

I got up at 5:00 a.m. and was ready to walk out the door at 5:30. I met up with Ross and Athenia in the hallway at the elevator. We were really looking forward to walking this morning even though we all knew that it was going to be an uphill climb. We also knew that we were going under the 100 km marker to Santiago and that we were going to need two stamps (sellos) per day from now until Santiago. My credential book is cutting it close as I have only six spaces left and that's if a stamp only takes up a single space and then it’s full. I am watching the stamps that I get to make sure that the one I get isn’t going to use two spaces.

Anyway it was totally dark this morning and we left by headlamp. I enjoy walking by headlamp. I find that it’s cooler and less traffic, both cars as well as Peregrinos. We generally get about an hour and a half before the sun comes up and it’s cool until about 11:00 when it starts to get hot, but by then we’re just about finished for the day. I have really enjoyed walking with Ross and Athenia. They are a lot of fun to be with and we have a lot to talk about and walk about the same pace.

We walked along and it seemed like it wasn’t going to stop going up, but finally it leveled off for a few kilometers until it was time to climb Alto Momientos and then there was a good but short climb and then a long steady drop down to the city. When you get to the bottom you have to cross the River Mino on a long narrow river bridge with car traffic and other Peregrinos. Of course I don’t walk the narrow catwalk sidewalk so I walked in the street. It was not pretty. Finally we crossed the river and waited a few minutes for Athenia and then we had to climb a long flight of stairs into the city, go through the archway to the entrance of the city, and then go on to our Pension where we were able to reserve a room with three beds.

When I made the reservation, I had forgotten about the one room with three beds and so I was explaining to them that it was three rooms, then I happened to read my notes. It’s bad enough eating crow in English, worse in Spanish. They understood and were very nice about it. We got our room and it was fine. It was clean and we had enough room. We went back down to the bar and got something to eat and sat there and talked to Mary and Michael who came in a little late. It was a great afternoon.

After eating lunch we went and walked around the city. The church was supposed to open at 4:00 to get our credentials stamped, but that didn’t happen. At 5:00, but after I had gotten mine stamped somewhere else they opened. Either way I got mine stamped and I was happy. Later we went to a nice restaurant and went in the comedor and got our dinner. It had been a great day and we were all tired so we went to our room and got ready for bed as 5:00 a.m. was going to come quickly in the morning.

That’s about all the news from here today so will bring you up on all the new info tomorrow. We only have four more days before Ross, Athenia and I split up and they head back to Canada and I head to Portugal to complete the Camino Portugue for about 12 days. I look forward to to walking the beach path. So until tomorrow I will say…Buen Camino.

Go to top